Best Prepping Tips

THE RABBIT HOLE FORUM - SHARE IDEAS & NEWS.

Moderators: Bhsun, Floyd Anderson, Hellwege, Rob, briancolarusso

Best Prepping Tips

Postby cml-2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Add your best prep tips, ideas, suggestions. Let's keep this thread active.

Many are against stocking up on canned foods. True, there is not much food value in canned vegetables and soups. On the other hand, there is precious liquid inside those cans. If push comes to shove, the water in those cans could save you from dehydration. Most canned vegetables are prepared with salt, and salt is essential to bodily functions. There's a little over 1/2 cup of liquid in a 16 ounce can of green beans. I know everyone likes the freeze dried meals, I do as well. But, I keep canned veggies, soups, and juices in the pantry. Yes, I know they're loaded with sugar and salt - just what you'll need with a raging fever. The canned goods may also be GMO products. What else is new? We've been eating them since the early 70's.
cml-2012

Re: Best Prepping Tips

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:34 pm

My wife and I were very fortunate to be able to buy a home in the country with a good well and fruit trees.. We planted a garden and we are going to invest in a few chickens.

We dehydrate a lot of fruits and veggies,but we also can everything we get our hands on. We are always on the look out for new canning recipes.
The more you know / The less you need
farmer_dude48

Postby cml-2012 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks fd48, for the input.

I don't do much canning anymore. I do freeze what I call "end of summer vegetable medley." I peel and dice a bunch of tomatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, peppers, add it to a large stock pot, pour in a 64 ounce can of tomato juice, and 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, sweet Italian basil and parsley. Cook and simmer about an hour or until the vegetables are tender. Allow it to cool for about an hour, then pack it in pint jars, label it and freeze. Makes a great sauce for pasta, or to use in soups. It's also delicious over cooked brown rice.

In my day pack: Always with me 24/7. In the car.

Buck folding hunter

First aid kit

Stainless steel canteen filled with fresh water every day

Bear stoppa [ mace for bears and other animals, including humans]

Energy bars

Water proof matches

Poncho

Extra shoes, socks, change of clothes.

10.00 in quarters, 20.00 in one dollar bills

Flashlight

The pack is light enough that if I had to walk for miles I could carry it.
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Home Defense...

Not everyone owns a gun, and not everyone can afford to buy a gun and ammo. Here are some suggestions about defending your home and your family.

Pots and rolling pins are great clubs for bashing an intruder. Next time you're out pick up a used or new cast iron skillet. I like the smaller ones. Easier to handle.

Meat cleavers, knives, big cook-out forks, keep a can of cooking spray handy, spray them in the eyes close -up and personal. Or you can whip out a can of hair spray and a claw hammer.

Ground cayenne pepper, pour it in the palm of your hand, and blow it in their eyes. Sort of like pepper spray.

Fireplace poker, brick in a pillow case, brick to the face or head. Don't think OMG, you might hurt this person, go ahead, otherwise they'll hurt you.

Golf club, baseball bat, sturdy 2x4.

A few rolls of quarters in a sock makes a fine weapon. Remember that movie with Charles Bronson?

One last tip: Keep your car keys on the night table next to your bed. If you do hear a noise or glass breaking, hit the alarm button on the car key. The noise might scare off an intruder.
cml-2012

Postby Mordae » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 am

The best prepping tip I have is to start with the basics:

1 - Work out what you are prepping for. Write out a list of the top 10 most likely SHTF scenarios and work out contingency plans for each of them, then work out backup plans for those... odds are you'll need another set of backups after that ;)

2 - Work out a backup location that you can reach within a 24-36 hour timeframe. Katrina, Haiti, the Christchurch quakes and the Brisbane floods all showed a 1 - 2 day gap before the criminals were out looting etc. If your safe location is further out, do a test run of getting to it without using roads, make caches where you need to or plant some edible plants (the more unrecognizable the better) along the route. Depending on your backup plans, you may need a couple of BoL's.

3 - Blend in. You don't want your house to be the flashest or the most untidy, either could make you a target. If some house are already boarded up/abandoned, make sure you have enough materials at hand to make yours look similar.

4 - Start becoming as self sufficent as possible. Even if nothing ever goes down (as unlikely as it seems), you can never go to far wrong if you can produce your own food and power.

5 - Stockpile knowledge, in as many mediums as possible. You may never require it, but one day your grandchildren might.

A couple of notes re the Home Defense tips.

If you get into a knife fight with an intruder, you are likely to get cut. If you can get your mind used to this, you have a lesser chance of freezing when it happens.

use a slashing technique not thrusts ( if you don't get it right your weapon might get stuck in/on a bone) and at the throat, eye's and gut - these vital areas tend to make opponents recoil.

Keep a handful of ballbearings close to the bed. Thrown they can cause a lot of damage, thrown on the floor they can unbalance an attacker.

If you plan on confronting a home intruder - pick the area where you want to do it and configure it to your advantage (furniture on rollers/ many small hard objects/ bulky items that can be used as a shield etc).
Common Sense: So rare it's officially a super power.
Mordae

Postby farmer_dude48 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:51 am

The best home defense thing I have going on right now is our pit bull. He thinks the sun rises and sets on his mommy :D
and would eat anything that trys to hurt her.

I also think the sound of a shell being jacked into a shotgun would slow people down just a bit.. I still play with some toys of my youth Sling shot , blowgun, throwing knives.
The ball bearings or marbles would work great on a hardwood floor. They would buy some valuable time.

We are trying to get Prickly Pear Catus growing. They would be great to plant in front of windows.

One more thing to try would be to walk around your house and listen for the pops and cracks of the floor. If you can learn what part of the floor makes noise and what part doesn't then you could tell were somebody is at.
farmer_dude48

Postby Mordae » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 am

farmer_dude48 wrote:
We are trying to get Prickly Pear Catus growing. They would be great to plant in front of windows.

One more thing to try would be to walk around your house and listen for the pops and cracks of the floor. If you can learn what part of the floor makes noise and what part doesn't then you could tell were somebody is at.

We have Red Pineapple growing under our windows here. Not quite as nasty as the Prickly Pear, but is still spiky enough to discourage someone who has other options. :twisted:

Great idea about sounding out the house, we have an old Villa from the 1900's, so that would work well for us :D
Common Sense: So rare it's officially a super power.
Mordae

Postby cml-2012 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:09 pm

A Shopping Trip to the Dollar Tree...

What 20.00 will buy in a discount store. I'm always prepping or thinking about it.

1 big bottle of peroxide, good for disinfecting, whitening dingy clothes, applying it to a toenail fungus, it has many uses.

2 boxes of baking soda, good for brushing your teeth, applying a paste of it to a bee sting, cleaning, wiping out odors and stains.

2 cartons of Epsom salts, good for soaking sore muscles, using it in the garden for a magnesium boost for plants, many other uses.

2 canisters of antibacterial wipes. Much better than dry toilet paper, and you can use for them for cleaning and disinfecting as well.

Box of band-aids.

Wrist guard.

Safeguard soap [ 2 bars for a dollar ]

Bungee cord

Poncho -camo colored

Tacks

Shoelaces

A fold out sign that reads "help" and glows in the dark, use it inside the car.

Jute twine

Duct tape

I'll add these prep items to a box I keep in the closet.
cml-2012

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:02 pm

I went to the local Dollar Tree with my wife and found lots of first aid things and they also had brown rice in 1 pound bags.
We will be going back to purchase a few more things in the next few days.

Good news our garden is starting to produce a few things for us. I'm going to start dehydrating tomorrow. My Uncle went to a produce auction the price for green beans was $36.00 a bushell. The blackberries was $28.00 for a Gal IMO that is way to high..

We should have lots of beans this year but sadly we will have to buy some berries :cry:
farmer_dude48

Postby cml-2012 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:28 pm

farmer dude,

High prices on the produce, we'll see this more and more. That is a steep price for the berrries, you figure after you wash them, freeze or can them, or make jam, you have quite a lot of money tied up in a little food.

Sounds as though you and your wife found some bargains at the Dollar Tree. Many snub their noses at the discount stores, but if and when SHTF, they'll wish they had a Dollar Store to shop at.

John Moore [ Radio Show Host ] who could certainly afford to purchase all new stuff, buys used clothes and shoes/boots at church yard sales, so being thrifty is something we should all be doing.

Most of the first aid items I buy are not for me, they're for my friends and relatives who will not be prepared. I feel as if I have to look out for them.

On a positive note, I have tomatoes ripening on the vines and onions maturing, so I feel blessed today.

All the best to you and Mrs. farmer dude.
cml-2012

Next

Return to THE FORUM