Best Prepping Tips

THE RABBIT HOLE FORUM - SHARE IDEAS & NEWS.

Moderators: Bhsun, Floyd Anderson, Hellwege, Rob, briancolarusso

Re: Best Prepping Tips

Postby cml-2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 pm

I no longer stock pile toilet paper. I have 4 rolls in each bathroom and that's it.

For the past year I have bought a canister of Wet Ones and a canister of baby wipes, each week when I shop. Why the wipes? Several reasons. They take up less space, they're more hygienic, easier to dispose of, and if water becomes scarce, you'll be thrilled to have a supply of them. I happen to think they'll be at the top of the twenty barter items if and when SHTF. I know guys don't give it much thought, but I'm not a guy. I do think about children, and women with their special monthly "needs." It could get rough "out there" and if you can't stay clean, you could become ill, and I mean seriously ill.

I also have a big rubber maid tub with a snap on lid. I have begun to fill it with old hand towels, and small bath towels, duct tape, and plastic shopping bags. These will be diapers somewhere in time when all the Pampers and Huggies are gone. Can you imagine a mother with a baby and no diapers? A old towel, plastic bags, duct tape = a makeshift diaper. Better than nothing.

Food, guns and ammo, high on the list of prepper items. All well and good.

True family leaders take everything into consideration. Think long and hard about sanitation, and providing for children and the women who will need these items. Spend a few dollars each week, and you won't miss it.

My top 20 prepper items I have in a walk-in closet:

Wet Ones, baby wipes, white vinegar [ gallons of it for cleaning] peroxide, pint- 90% proof rubbing alcohol, pint - 80% proof vodka, Army Grade Field Medical Kit, ointment, salve, face mask, goggles, 2 cheap ball caps, empty spray bottle, tampons, sanitary napkins, electrical tape, waterproof matches, and 2 [ clean ]- 5 gallon buckets.

Maybe think about making up your own "gotta have" these 20 items. Choose what you think you could use or barter with. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

In the houses of the wise are many supplies...
Last edited by cml-2012 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cml-2012

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Wet Ones are a great idea. I had a number of packs that I bought cheap - OOPS - when I rotated them I tried using them on my baby and were useless. Not wet, barely damp.

Regardless of what they are used for post-SHTF, I think paying more for the best quality brand is the way to go.

Along a similar vein we have plenty of tampons/pads and condoms stored. Condoms will be in great demand if the world is so shite you wouldn't want to add a baby to the mix.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby cml-2012 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Good deal on a couple of used bikes today. Garage sale. People are moving and didn't want to take the bikes. The bikes are almost new. I know everyone is counting on trucks and cars to move around in, and maybe bikes don't figure in with the preps, but a bike is good thing to have. Better than walking. I'm a fan of the television series " Revolution" and I don't think horses would survive a major SHTF. Sooner or later gas and diesel fuel would be depleted, or too expensive. Riding a bike is good exercise, and you can bring it in inside at night to keep it from being stolen. A basket and bungee cord, and you're all set.

I also bought some used black and dark blue tee shirts today. Size XL and XXL. The lady sold the entire bag to me for five dollars. Good deal on 12 Hanes "almost new" tee shirts. I washed and dried them and packed them away in a plastic bag, with a few dryer sheets to keep them fresh smelling. Good barter item in the future.

That's my prepping for the rest of the month.
cml-2012

Postby Mordae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 am

Good score with the bikes, although I can think of some possible issues that may crop up with them in a SHTF scenario, especially if used to cross unfamilar or contested territory (of course, that might just be because I'm a paranoid slot :lol: ).

I'm not sure if horses would survive a SHTF event or not, though I guess it would depend on the event and surrounding terrain. IMHO, I think it's more likely that we'd lose some cattle breeds ...the cows which need human intervention to help with birthing. The wilder types like the Texas Longhorn should be fine though.

While I really liked the concept of Revolution, I think it was far to sanitised, it got to the point of laughing every time I saw some grubby peasant who hadn't had a dental checkup in 15 years flash his pearly whites. No mass graves due to disease/contaminated water, no rabies outbreaks and not one open sewer?
Common Sense: So rare it's officially a super power.
Mordae

Postby cml-2012 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 am

Re: Revolution. You and I think alike, Mordae ! They should hire us to write the scripts for the show. I'm postive we could make the scenes a bit more realistic. I was thinking the same thing about the perfect teeth and no outbreak of disease and rotting bodies. Not to mention rape gangs and out and out slavery. It will be a brutal world, no doubt. Hollywood paints a rosy picture of SHTF with the skin tight jeans, black leather jackets and unlimited ammo and fuel. I don't know what will happen or not happen, but we must all do something and do it to the best of our ability.

Oh, I agree with you completely about the domestic animals [ cattle ]. Thanks for the comments. I'm always wonderfing what other preppers are thinking and preparing for.
cml-2012

Postby Mordae » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:30 am

Re: Revolution. You and I think alike, Mordae ! They should hire us to write the scripts for the show. I'm postive we could make the scenes a bit more realistic. I was thinking the same thing about the perfect teeth and no outbreak of disease and rotting bodies. Not to mention rape gangs and out and out slavery. It will be a brutal world, no doubt. Hollywood paints a rosy picture of SHTF with the skin tight jeans, black leather jackets and unlimited ammo and fuel. I don't know what will happen or not happen, but we must all do something and do it to the best of our ability.

:lol: They really should :D
To be fair though, a CME event or total financial collapse is fairly high on my SHTF List so the majority of my preps are designed for life without electricity. Most of that is stockpiling knowledge (such as setting up a non electrical powered fridge), hand tools and items that I can modify for pedal operation, seed saving, herbal medicine, permaculture etc.

The other part that I'm working on is sharing as much of that knowledge to anyone who is interested. I figure the more people that are able to supply themselves with food and shelter, the less people will "turn to the dark side" after SHTF
Mordae

Postby cml-2012 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:39 am

I consider this tip as one of the best when and if SHTF...

Heat will kill you, but so will the cold. Cold, fatigue, and being outside in 35 degree temperatures could be dangerous, especially for the elderly and children.

Not promoting Walmart by any stretch of the imagination !

Every bugout bag, car/truck, personal gear bags, purses, emergency kits, should have space blankets. They hold in body heat, protect exposed skin, etc.

They're very inexpensive as well. I have several in my home and car. Check sporting goods sections in Walmart, the blankets are 3.00 each. Some are higher in price, but the original space brand silver emergency blanket in under 3.00.

They won't hold up to constant use, and they are flimsy, but they may save a life of someone you know and love. Delivering a baby in primitive conditions or being caught in a storm, these blankets may help your odds of survival.
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:36 pm

I've always taken vitamins, even though I try to eat a healthy diet, it's not always possible. I see vitamins as cheap insurance. As long as you don't use them to excess, they do help with the formation of collagen, promote healthy gums and bones.

All of us should be thinking ahead of the possiblity that fresh food, such as vegetables, fruits and grains will be scarce or so expensive we won't able to afford them. While vitamins cannot take the place of food, we'll need them to help us get through the lean times ahead. I only buy vitamins from GNC or a health food store. You may pay a little more, but the quality is much better and you don't risk buying anything made in China !

I'll give you an example: GNC has 500 mg vitamin C tablets [ 100 count ] with rose hips for 4.49, and the vitamins are vegetarian tablets [ the best ]. If you buy and stockpile nothing else, you should have vitamin C, vitamin D, and zinc. While you're out shopping, pick up a moisture proof bag to store them in. Write the expirations dates down in a notebook or on a piece a paper, and keep it handy. The vitamins themselves would make great barter items, but I would not barter them.

When SHTF one way or another, these vitamins will help you to stay healthy until communities can come together to grow food and have gardens. Think of your children and grandchildren, a pregnant wife, girlfriend or sister. They'll need to stay healthy.

Don't tell anyone you have them. Just go about your business quietly, and do what you have to do. Don't charge them on a credit card, nor write a personal check. Always pay cash. It leaves no paper trail.
cml-2012

Postby Mordae » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:14 am

As a tip with the vitamin D, if you can grow mushrooms, expose them to UV light for a minute a day, and they will produce their own Vitamin D (one of the only foods to do so).

Good call about using cash for purchases...just be aware that large unusual purchases (say $300 worth of Vitamins) will attract attention also.
Mordae

Postby cml-2012 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Spent a couple of hours this morning cleaning garden tools. I won't need them until late September, so I wanted to take care of the handles and the metal parts. I rinsed them off and let them air dry. Once they were dry, I applied a thin coat of olive oil to the wooden handles. I used a piece of an old flannel shirt for the application and for rubbing the oil in. Works great for buffing. I polished the handles, then sprayed Pam cooking spray on the metal parts of the tools. Excellent for preventing rust. I buy the pump bottle of Pam and it lasts for a long time. I hung the tools in the shed, primed and ready for my autumn planting.

While I was outside, I sprayed Pam on the squeaky hinges of the shed door, and the squeaky truck door. I did all the outside doors with the spray. It dries quickly and is grease free. Why Pam? It's not WD40, or turpentine, or all the other chemicals you can do without. Pam works me. So does the olive oil. I have some vintage hand tools that I want to keep in top shape. The handles are worn, but they still look good.

Now would be a great time to hit the yard sales and flea markets in search of pitchforks, shovels, spades, rakes, posthole diggers, trowels, spades, etc. You can never have too many tools, especially garden tools. We may not know what the future holds for Earth and her people, but working in the soil and growing vegetables and herbs, makes you feel empowered. That's a good feeling.
cml-2012

PreviousNext

Return to THE FORUM