Best Prepping Tips

THE RABBIT HOLE FORUM - SHARE IDEAS & NEWS.

Moderators: Bhsun, Floyd Anderson, Hellwege, Rob, briancolarusso

Re: Best Prepping Tips

Postby cml-2012 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 am

This list is from a survey I conducted at 3 area supermarkets on Friday, August 2nd, 2013.

Top 20 items that you should have before a disaster stikes. The shelves will be empty or nearly so 24/48 hours after SHTF. People will these stockpile these items first.

Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Tea bags
Coffee
Cooking oil
Toilet paper/wipes
Paper towels
Paper plates
Pet food
Beer
Sodas
Bottled water
Bread
Chips
Milk
Cereal
Peanut butter
Crackers
Bags of ice
cml-2012

Postby Mordae » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 am

As a general rule, I figure most if not all supermarkets only keep 3 days stock (based on standard sales) on hand at all times. The spot to look for is the distribution centres ;)

If it's a SHTF situation, there won't be any power so the freezer is only good for 72 hours max, what we have done is filled old (and cleaned) PET & milk bottles with water and frozen them in the event of a prolonged power outage - it's also part of our water supply.

Straight alcohol is an item I'd put on the list as well, simply for the sterilization factor. If everything goes down, simple infection is going to be one of the biggest killers.

Having a backup to the fridge could be useful: http://2013.org/showthread.php/305-Saving-Food-From-The-Fridge
Common Sense: So rare it's officially a super power.
Mordae

Postby cml-2012 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 am

I did a little shopping this morning. I bought 5 small solar lights at the Dollar Tree. They're perfect for a hallway or bathroom if the lights go out. I bought a few last summer, and they actually lasted outdoors for seven months. Not bad for a dollar. The lights I bought today, I'll give to my elderly neighbor across the street. We lose power a few times during thunderstorms. I'll place them on her deck, and if the lights go out, she can grab one of the solar lights and bring it in. Or all of them if she wants to.

The solar lights would be a good idea for kids who are afraid of the dark. When the power goes out, it's really dark in a house. Having a few solar lights to bring in would keep your family from being totally in the dark. They last 6 hours when you bring them in, before they become dim. A great holder for the part that goes in the ground is an inverted clay flower pot. Turn the pot upside down and place the long stem part in the hole in the middle of the pot. Perfect size, and it holds the solar light upright.

Think about buying some jugs of water this month. Begin saving 2 liter soda bottles once they're empty. Rinse them out well, and fill them with water. Soda bottles are "food grade plastic" and won't leak. They'll hold up better than milk jugs. Store them somewhere out heat and sunlight. They might come in handy one day soon.

Fill up some spray bottles with peroxide and water. Good for cleaning and disinfecting. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar. Good for cleaning and no rinsing is needed. Spray the vinegar on insect bites to stop itching.

Blessings to everyone. It's better to be prepared and not need it, than to do nothing and be without.
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Make Your Own Organic Insect Repellent Using Apple Cider Vinegar, Chopped Garlic and Dried Herbs.

Use it for outdoor activities, camping, hunting and fishing. Safe to use around children and pets.

Here's the recipe and some information about making The Four Thieves Vinegar Insect Repellent.

http://mysticalmagicalherbs.wordpress.c ... s-vinegar/
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Top 100 Items You Might Want to Store.

http://preparednotscared.blogspot.com/2 ... -want.html
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:25 pm

When All Hell Breaks Loose - Ten Must Read Survival Books of All Times...

Video with expert survivalist Cody Lundin [ run time is 27:05 ] scroll down mid-way on the page for the video.

http://www.shtfmagazine.com/2013/08/top ... oks-of-all times/
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 pm

The Best Camping Stove - EmberLit - 2 short videos

http://www.emberlit.com/
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Check list for October...

Waterproof matches

Water for drinking, as much as you have room for. This should be number 1 on your list.

Sleeping bags

Blankets

Extra socks, thermals, sweats and jackets

Insulated gloves

Ready to eat meals

Solar lights

flashlights and batteries

Fuel

Cash- at least 200.00 in small bills

Hygiene items

Snow shovel, ice scraper, broom

Heavy duty plastic sheeting

Black plastic trash bags, this should be a priority on your list
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 am

This is my October project for prepping.

A video for building a brick stove for outdoor cooking. It looks easy, and the cost is less than $ 20.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4D68UCzQg

October blessings to everyone at The Rabbit Hole.
cml-2012

Postby cml-2012 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Learn to Prepare...

http://learntoprepare.com/2013/o6/facts ... d-packing/

Fresh Greens in Winter...

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2013/02/fresh ... s-at-home/

An excellent "how to" grow sprouts. The sprouts are loaded with vitamins. You can eat them raw or use them in stir-fry, casseroles. Several online places sell the seeds and you can always order them from seed catalogs.

Everyone has their own idea about protein and I do as well. I don't eat beef or pork, so I'm not concerned with that aspect of animal protein. I eat fish and chicken, so I have supplies of these. I would NOT buy tuna, however. I do buy Alaska salmon in cans, brand names- Libbey, Bumblebee, etc. I also buy canned chicken-Tyson's or other brand names. If SHTF, and it just might in the way of natural disasters, canned protein will hard to find in the stores. Both canned salmon and chicken are still fairly inexpensive. And, so many meals can be prepared using these high protein foods. Salmon patties, casseroles, salmon in fresh salads, etc. Canned chicken can be used for chicken and dumplings, chicken pot pie, chicken stew. These suggestions are for people who don't have 600.00 or more to spend on freeze dried foods. Time is short in my opinion. Cold weather and heavy snows will make it impossible to go to the grocery for supplies. Not to mention gas prices.

Today I bought a case of stewed tomatoes, a case of cream corn, a case of mixed vegetables, a few boxes of bisquick and flour, salt/pepper, celery flakes, onion flakes, canned chicken broth. You can prepare several hearty dishes using a crockpot, or a baking dish. Soups and stews are delicious and by adding a little meat or chicken you have a good dinner. Much cheaper than burgers and fries. Along with the casserole or stew you can prepare a small salad, some biscuits, or homemade wholewheat bread. Food prices will continue to climb this year, so think of stocking-up as money saved. Don't forget to buy water. An old timer said this to me today: What good is money when the stores are all closed?
cml-2012

PreviousNext

Return to THE FORUM